Google Now is an intelligent personal assistant that aims to provide you the right information at the right time. It provides you information in form of cards, based on your search habits (on Google). It’ll show you the information even before you think of it. It makes the use of knowledge graph developed by Google to provide more structured data.
Google now can really be helpful in getting updates of weather, favorite football teams, road traffic, websites and much more. You can just directly talk to it (via google voice search). Tell it to set alarm, call your friend, make a note and set reminders. But, you need to teach it how effectively it can work for you. By teaching I mean you need to set up your likes and dislikes, your location of work and home and your search habits.
Let’s first of all set up Google now for your smartphone. It’s also available for iOS but here we’ll set it up on Android.
Google Now works on smartphones with Android 4.1 or +. It’s available in the Google search app or the widget if you have it on home screen. To make it work, go to Google settings > Search & Now > Google Now. As you put this ON the google search will open up and guide you through the process of making it fully functional. You can also do it manually, if you want more exposure. Get under the settings tab where you can tell Google now which apps it should access, select your language through Voice tab also manage your notifications and privacy.
But to make it effectively work for you need to train it.
Customising Google now
- Sports: Here you can add your favorite teams of football, soccer, basketball, baseball and other high profile sports played in US and Canada. (They should have added Cricket.)
- Stocks: You can edit your stocks and get updates.
- Places: Here you need to enter the location of your home and work. Google now is too clever to update you if there is traffic in the route you usually commute from home to work and guide you through a different suitable route where there is less traffic.
- TV and Video: Now this feature is only available in US. You need to select your TV provider and it’ll recommend you of which shows you should watch. And also alerts you of the upcoming shows.
- Everything Else: This section contains of which updates you would like to receive and stop unwanted updates.
You can say full sentences like:
” Remind me to go Ben’s home at 5:30 PM”
” Remind me to submit my assignment on this Tuesday.”
“Wake me up at 6 AM”
Get Google Now Launcher
Use your Voice
|Google Now commands from Digital Trends|
Get Updates of Movies, Famous People and websites
You just have to search for the movie name like Captain America: The winter soldier. In the search result you’ll find a Remind me on Google now tab. Tap on it and it’ll update you the day it gets released. The same procedure for famous personalities. Type in their name and you’ll find an option to get updates of them.
Google Now Updates on Chrome
You can get updates on chrome by enabling this feature. Type in chrome://flags in your address bar and find for Google now option and enable it. You should get a pop up after a relaunch, that’ll ask you to enable Google now cards.
What to Expect from Google Now
Power User’s Guide to get Better search Results in Google.
How to get Android notifications on your Desktop.
Play Music using Physical Buttons on Android.